By looking at kata through the equally important eyes of health and skill, the plethora of applications becomes apparent. It’s like unraveling a knot, you examine the skills and see how they can be applied to striking, blocking, locking, throwing, dislocation, evasion and entering and you realize that what you have is a method of training a complete skill base that can be unraveled into a complete arsenal of techniques.
Read the entire article:
Kata Doesn’t Work In A Fight?
Kata is an invaluable tool in training in Karate and will certainly help develop your skills to prevent you from having to ‘fight’ with anyone and will enable you to deal with violence and confrontation more skillfully.
• The PSKC dojo opens for the Spring semester on Tuesday, January 12th at 7PM in 106 White Building.
• Demos, open-house, and new member sign-ups on Thursday the 14th & Sunday the 17th.
• Look for our table at the spring student involvement fair on Monday the 11th from 11:00am to 4:00pm in Alumni Hall in the HUB-Robeson Center.
• PSKC will be conducting a Karate demo & workshop at Setsucon 2016 at the end of the month. This year Setuscon will be held at the Toftrees Conference Center. Visit their website for more information: www.setsucon.com
Congrats to PSKC competitors on their achievements at the Fall Brawl 2015 in New Kensington.
Isshin Ryu founder Tatsuo Shimabuku was born on September 19th, 1908. In honour of Master Shimabuku’s birthday, the Penn State Karate Club is holding a special martial arts demonstration (Embu Tai Kai) on Sunday the 20th at 7:30PM in 106 White Building. Admission is free. After the demonstration, audience members are invited to participate in some self-defense drills.
Shimabuku EmbuTaiKai 2015 Handout
PSKC will have a dojo open-house with demos, audience participation, and new member sign-ups during the first week of the semester.
* 7PM in room 106 White Building on Tuesday(25th), Thursday(27th) & Sunday (30th)
Membership is open to all Penn State students, faculty and staff. No previous experience required.
Look for our table at the Involvement Fair on Monday(24th) & Tuesday(25th) in Heritage Hall at the HUB, between 11-4pm.
PSKC members competed at the IWKA 2015 World Championship Tournament in Princeton, NJ on August 7th & 8th winning 14 awards in 1st, 2nd & 3rd places for kata, kobudo & kumite events. Congratulations everyone!
PSKC volunteers helped with the track & field events for the Summer Special Olympics.
Summer Session Demos & new member sign-ups on Tuesday the 26th and Thursday the 28th at 6PM in room 106 White Building.
PSKC closed the spring semester with a picnic at Spring Creek Park and some kata practice in the water. Our summer class schedule is pending. Check back for updates.
PSKC runners joined thousands of others on April 19th to participate in the annual Paterno Family Beaver Stadium Run, supporting Special Olympics Pennsylvania.