Young’s 2016 Fall Martial Arts Tournament
Saturday, October 15th
Mark you calendar!
Competitions in Forms, Weapons & Sparring
Celebrating 32 years for this event!!
10:30 AM – Judges Meeting
11:00 AM – Start Time
On Tuesday (9/20), PSKC members honoured the 108th anniversary of Tatsuo Shimabuku’s birthday (9/19/1908) with a special demonstration that included:
• Karate & Isshin Ryu historical video
• Upper/Lower basics with breaking
• Kata demonstrations – Naihanchi, Sanchin & Sunsu
• Self-defense techniques from Tatsuo’s Kumite drills
Congratulations to Laura Egan on earning her Nidan. In August, she returned to Japan for another year of teaching English.
Fall classes will be held from 7-9PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays in 106 White Building.
Look for us at the Student Involvement Fair on Monday the 22nd from 11-4PM on the HUB Lawn.
Open-House, demos & new member sign-ups will be conducted during the first week of the semester.
The Special Olympics Pennsylvania Summer Games are held each year at Penn State University in State College. The event brings together over 2,000 athletes and 750 coaches from across the state. Our largest event of the year, Summer Games features three days of intense competition in aquatics, athletics, basketball, bowling, equestrian, golf, gymnastics, softball and tennis. Every race, every game, every competition held at Summer Games represents many weeks of training, preparation and dedication on the part of our athletes, coaches and volunteers.
We’re organizing a Penn State Karate Club volunteer team to help with the track & field events on June 4th. If you are available, get in touch with us.
This is last summer’s volunteer team:
PSKC runners supporting Special Olympics with participation in the annual Paterno Family Beaver Stadium Run. www.stadiumrun.org
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Young’s Spring 2016 Tournament, Bellefonte, PA.
By looking at kata through the equally important eyes of health and skill, the plethora of applications becomes apparent. It’s like unraveling a knot, you examine the skills and see how they can be applied to striking, blocking, locking, throwing, dislocation, evasion and entering and you realize that what you have is a method of training a complete skill base that can be unraveled into a complete arsenal of techniques.
Read the entire article:
Kata Doesn’t Work In A Fight?
Kata is an invaluable tool in training in Karate and will certainly help develop your skills to prevent you from having to ‘fight’ with anyone and will enable you to deal with violence and confrontation more skillfully.
• The PSKC dojo opens for the Spring semester on Tuesday, January 12th at 7PM in 106 White Building.
• Demos, open-house, and new member sign-ups on Thursday the 14th & Sunday the 17th.
• Look for our table at the spring student involvement fair on Monday the 11th from 11:00am to 4:00pm in Alumni Hall in the HUB-Robeson Center.
• PSKC will be conducting a Karate demo & workshop at Setsucon 2016 at the end of the month. This year Setuscon will be held at the Toftrees Conference Center. Visit their website for more information: www.setsucon.com